All you need for this workout is a stack of hardcovers and some yarn or rope to tie them together!
Workout #1: The Book Curl
Workout #2: The Book Up
Workout #3: The Brunch (Book Crunch) - Just like brunch this can be done alone or with a friend!
Yes-You-Can Yoga Poses
Master intimidating (and awe-inducing) advanced yoga poses
Click here for a step by step guide for all 4 poses from Women’s Health
MAXED OUT CIRCUIT: 500 REPS OF BODYWEIGHT BRUTALITY
This was my workout today! It’s a simple, 4 move, circuit that will get your heart rate up and challenge your entire body. No equipment required, but you need to dig deep to finish all 5 rounds. I was DRIPPING with sweat and was dying by round 3!
If you’re doing this with me today, here’s a tip: Slow down and make each rep count. It’s easy to rush through workouts, trying to get the fastest time possible, but I want you to focus more on form than speed. It’s great to whip through a tough section quickly, but you’ll get more bang for your buck by using a full range of motion (getting low, going deep, extending your arms) than from blasting through. With each rep, try to make it as ‘perfect’ as you can: if you need a mini-break halfway through, take one! Keep going when you’ve caught your breath and don’t stop until you’re done.
Maxed Out Circuit: 5 Rounds of…
- 40 Sprinter Lunge Hop Ups
- 30 Side Plank Oblique Rotations
- 20 Drop Squat & Tuck
- 10 Single Leg Pushups
Novice/Beginner (low impact, no jumping)
- 20 Step Back Lunges
- 20 Modified Side Plank Rotations (keep bottom leg bent and on the floor as you rotate OR come on all fours as you alternate arms. You can also try this with a straight body, but elevated: your hand rests on a couch or chair instead of the floor).
- 20 Squat & Kick (sink down into a squat, and kick forward as you stand. Repeat switching sides).
- 10 Pushups (any modification: from the knees, against a wall, etc).
- 40 Weighted Lunge Hop Ups (keep dumbbells by your sides as you perform the lunge and hop up).
- 30 Side Plank Flys (see description & pic here)
- 20 Drop Squat & Tuck
- 10 Elevated Single Leg Pushups (elevate feet on a chair, bench, medicine ball or stability ball to make it harder)
Give it a try and let me know how you did! xo
Cardio, legs, core
Crab kick are a fun cardio move that work your legs, core, shoulders and back. (those of you doing the ZCUT challenge might recognize it!). I adore this move! Feels like you’re doing the can-can. :)
HOW: In a table position, keep hands under shoulders and hips lifted as you jump switch legs and kick towards the ceiling. Beginners can modify it by marching (and not jumping) or by doing it elevated with hands on a chair or couch.
Core tight throughout, and add speed only after you’ve gotten the form down.
Try ‘em! :)
Goal: 50-100 split up however you like. :)
Benefits of the Side Plank
Side plank exercises target the gluteal muscles, obliques, quadriceps, hamstrings, thigh abductors and adductors. Strengthening these muscles means that your lower back and spine have more support and are better protected from injury caused by back strain and/or sudden movements. Side plank exercises also improve core strength; this means increased core stability, which translates into a stronger back and minimal soreness.
Like this is you’re participating in #NTCJanuary with me!
If you don’t know what it is, click the picture for more info :)
ouch man these look easy but you feel the burn so quick
Hardcore Holidays! Day 7: STRETCH. :)
Take a hot shower or do a few sun salutations to warm yourself up. All you need is a mat and 10 minutes. :)
Do your own thing or follow along with any of the routines below! It’s a great way to end the week. :)
See the rest of the Hardcore Holiday Challenge.
5 Minute Beginner Basic Stretch (Diet.com) - Do this video twice, and you’re good to go! Perfect for beginners.
10-Minute Stretching Routine for Runners - Fabulous to hit all the spots runners need to focus on.
Yoga Relax - 10 Minutes Gentle Yoga Class- Very gentle yoga routine. Ideal for beginners.
Or try any of these videos to help you improve your range of motion & flexibility!
Form is key, kids.
Hardcore Holidays! Day 3 Stocking Stuffer: 200 Mermaid Side V-Ups
You can make it 200 total (100/side) or 200 per side: up to you!
Make it easier: bend your knees, use your arm for support, place a cushion beneath your tush for comfort (not cheating. Still hard), and reduce range of motion: if u can feel it in your obliques, you’re good. Roll on to your booty slightly as you lift.
Make it harder: do the opposite, lol. Straight legs, no arms, etc. Without rolling on to your butt, you may not lift as high, but the contraction is bigger. No worries. (Cushions allowed!). Uncross the feet and use your thighs to keep your legs together.
Psychos: leg weights baby. You can also put a dumbbell/plate between your legs for a bigger challenge. Make the lift explosive (power up quickly) and lower slowly and controlled. Reach as high as you can.
Tip: if your back hurts, focus on drawing in the core. You can also do these in bed. :)
How To Do It
A. Lie down on your side. Arm closest to the floor comes out in front of you for support OR you can prop yourself up on your elbow (easier). Top arm reaches over and behind the head, extending the body line. Feet are crossed (like a mermaids tail).
B. Keeping feet crossed and legs straight, lift and twist feet towards the ceiling. Your hips and booty will roll slightly inward as you reach your top hand towards your toes and raise your torso from the floor. Use your obliques and not your legs to do the lift.
C. With control, lower back down to starting position and repeat.
I wanted my time spent reading fanfic to more productive, so I came up with a workout challenge for it. Inspired by the Doctor Who Workout Challenge by fitforinfinity, the Fanfic Flamingo meme, and Nike Training Club workouts. Disclaimer: I just made this for fun and can’t even guarantee that it’s a decent workout.
- Kink that author didn’t bother to warn for and now you’re squicked: 10 burpees
- “I’m pretty sure that’s not anatomically possible”: 15 crunches
- High school/college/coffee shop AU: 10 lunges
- Female characterized as a “bitch” just as an excuse to get rid of canon pairing and establish slash: Plank until the burn in your limbs is as bad as the burn of your rage
- “Oh, god, I really hope the FBI isn’t tracking my Internet history I didn’t know that was in that fic I didn’t I swear”: 20 jumping jacks
- “Noooooo why did you have to end it there!”: 15 squats
- New fic for your OTP: 45 seconds of straight leg kicks
- Fic is way better than summary sounds: 30 seconds of supermans
- Fic is way worse than summary sounds: 1 minute of walkouts
Feel free to add your own!
oh my gosh this is perfect
If there’s anyone out there who feels like they waste time reading too much fanfiction, here’s a great way to get your workout in at the same time!